Thursday, May 16, 2013

Little Bed and file cabinet

Miss Kate had a birthday last weekend and her request was a doll bed that fit her American Girl/One Direction/New Direction/Bigger than a Barbie-smaller than a baby, bed. The aforementioned are 18" plus allowing for a growth spurt, fat hair, fuzzy slippers, and bed-covers, I made it 22" on the inside. Just to be clear, I am not a carpenter. I can saw wood, hammer nails, and screw screws. This thing was a leap of faith. You Tube gave me some ideas if I wanted to listen to a really boring (but loving) dad, or make a bed out of cereal boxes and duct tape. Instead, in keeping with my logo, hope and salvage, I salvaged wood from my air conditioner platform and hoped it would appease a little 6 year old. Seriously, I think it is strong enough to stand on even if I were a Sasquatch.

I painted it in a mixture of colors that matches her new room.

I cut the platform out of the back of a dresser, lined it with batting and stapled a nice, koofy, microfiber that Ken found on a curb for me (laundered of course).  I made the ruffle out of one of the prom dresses that I altered, out of the same fabric. I've seen it more next to Kate's face than near any doll. 

Ana White of The Handbuilt Home, surely would have done a nicer job, but she has better tools, another set of hands, and from what I've seen, pretty good knees. Happy Birthday Kiddo!


Now that I have my new aluminum 'wheels', I should be back on track for finishing projects.  Last week or so I posted a photo of a/an unique file cabinet that Ken gave me.  It was painted kind of an Army barracks green, and instead of having two drawers, had a bottom drawer and a lift up top.

For an unknown reason they had the handle on the top, for a drawer that had a lift top and no handle on the bottom for the drawer that opened.  I still want to play with getting some better hardware, but I really like the piece. Therese will be in town tomorrow and I will have her move it to a better lighted location for a new photo.

There were no "guts" other than the wooden file front shown. Office Max should carry something to make it more functional, or do as I do, just put them in without it.

I stripped the top, inside and out, and all the panel pieces, which I sanded, stained and poly'd.

It isn't oak, or pine, maybe aspen, or some combination.

See how this wood has some grainy business to it.

The file plates are wood, as is the handle.

I kept the Army green-could have spruced it up, as I have a nice deep olive, but wanted to keep it more vintage looking, so just lightly sanded and glazed with a dark oak stain.

Looks a hundred times better in person.

No contrast because of all the wood background.

Before-1950's file cabinet.



I have a bunch of things in the hopper right now...the cedar chest (3/4 done), a Union Jack coffee table (half done), a Pottery Barn coffee table (2/3 done), the boat table (1/2 done) , the basket floor dresser (7/8 done), a buffet (half done), the beach coffee table (2 hours from finishing) and something that I cannot even describe (1/10th done).  It is a piece of furniture with no discernible function. Oh, and I picked up some free handmade drawers that will fit nicely into an old radio cabinet to become a linen cabinet. These are only items that I have started, not the hoard stash in my garage/studio.

Busy, 1st Communion weekend, lots of cooking, baking, ReStoring, and partying. Be safe!

As ever,
La Verne

No comments:

Post a Comment